A protector is a person who escorts and/or watches over a Charge to ensure that the other is safe, exact duties will vary based upon protection negotiations.
Potential duties of a protector
A protector might:
- Attend events and introduce the charge as such to others.
- Utilize a collar of protection or otherwise ward off unwanted advances from others that make the charge uncomfortable.
- Negotiate scenes on behalf of the charge after intimately understanding their wants, needs and limitations.
- Give or deny permissions for a charge to have specific play partners.
- Set limits on the charge for amount and types of play to avoid or mitigate the effects of Frenzy or Drop.
- Monitor scenes the charge engages in as if they were a DM.
- Provide demonstrations, advice, or mentoring guidance for the charge.
- Provide a transition period (usually 2-4 weeks) as a service dominant to a slave in their leather family that has recently become unowned for any number of reasons.
- Shew away potential undesirable partners.
The inclusion of these elements is usually left to express negotiation and agreement between the parties. A Protector-charge relationship generally is not expected to last for a long term, but generally will often last for one [[BDSM Events} event]] or several months depending upon the needs of the charge.
The role of a protector does not equate to being someone's Dominant, Play partner, Trainer, or sex partner. It is important to determine that attaining one of these positions is not a hidden motive of a potential protector as it is not entirely uncommon to have predatory individuals offer to protect vulnerable new explorers of BDSM as a ruse to gain access to those without good information or in a diminished capacity, and exploit them. Be sure that a protector you select is someone that you can trust not to take advantage of you.