A Master is a term used to describe a revered d-type and is often used a variety of ways. Most often this term is used to refer to the dominant person in a Master/slave relationship, usually defined as a 24/7 TPE relationship that is greatly respected within the local BDSM community.
Synonyms may include: Owner, Mistress, Dominatrix, Dominant or others depending on how the term is being used. The term Master is often used as a masculine, while Mistress is used for the feminine, however this convention is not universal.
The term Master may refer to...
- a gender-independent status role that is mostly used only in reference to males. There is not otherwise a male equivalent. The female equivalent is Mistress or possibly Dominatrix to indicate a professional female Master. The term describes someone who believes their role orientation is that of a person who directs others, especially those that identify as slaves.
- an honorific used strictly for a scene or fantasy role play to indicate one that has control over another or others, especially in a professional session.
- The owner of a slave; the head of a household in some styles of D/s and M/s, especially those groups of people identifying as a House.
- someone recognized as incredibly skilled and talented; someone who has mastered a specific skill set in regards to BDSM such as a Rope Master.
- one whose teachings or doctrines are accepted by followers; an original manifestation from which copies can be made.
- One who has control over or ownership of something: the master of a dungeon.
- Used as a title for a person who serves as the head or presiding officer of certain societies, clubs, orders, or institutions: The Master of the Collaring Ceremony.
- someone who may or may not have earned his or her title from a community recognition or a regional Leather contest.
- someone who has titled themselves as a Master without meeting any exterior qualifications.
In many cases there are claims that a Master must have "X" trait or quality in order to be able to control or direct another person, but due to the varied nature of what constitutes being a Master between each individual, what those things are, how they might apply, and their degree of importance can vary drastically as there is no one true way to be a Master. In most cases these lists simply mirror what it means to be an exemplary human being with a strong Values System, the desire and motivation to constantly improve, and the ability to perform the function of a Master with expertise: the ability to control and direct another person.
Some commonly emphasized values consistent with best practices concerning a Master may include but are not limited to: (in no particular order)
- Honorable behavior in word and deed.
- Is in touch with their wants and needs; gives clearly stated expectations, orders and instructions.
- A clear understanding of their own personal limitations and failings while consistently seeking to learn more and better themselves.
- The ability to respect and forgive the personal limitations and failings of those that serve them while still helping them push towards and achieve self betterment.
- Possession of sound judgement, logic, reliability and the ability to keep their personal affairs in reasonable order.
- An amazing degree of control of temper and impulse.
- Recognizes both service and Mastery as callings worthy of respect.
Within the context of a live-in 24/7 TPE relationship it can be hard to assess one's progress as a Master since each M/s relationship is decidedly different. Consider using the Master Milestones sheet supplied by the MsDC to self assess and help provide you with some direction on deciding how best to move forward with your household.